“CRUSH ON ART”
What is the color of romance?
“The true essence of romance is freedom.” is a quote by Percy Bysshe Shelley, one of the Romantic English poets during the 19th century. “Romance = Freedom” At times is an extension of nothing else but a one-way selfishness, blindness, and self-love. That is why it has to be “Black”, a color that does not dye into any other colors.
Romance at times, holds the potential to grow into “Love” exceeding that emotion self-love. According to the oldest epic of mankind, Epic of Gilgamesh, those descriptions can be seen. Like the Tale of Genji, which is the oldest novel in the world written during the Heian-era in Japan, numbers of works were created by artists from romance being its inspiration in the contemporary art.
For this exhibition, making the essence of romance the focal point, obtaining the idea of “Romance” with the broad sense of “Thinking about the place and thing in the past”, not only with works related to romance but works resembling romance are displayed subjectively. We hope for this exhibition to be the cause for everyone to experience that heartbeat once again.
- Sezon Museum of Modern Art
- July 24, 2016 – November 23, 2016
- Open hours
- 10:00 – 18:00 (Admission until 30 minutes before closing)
- Thursdays (Except September 22 and November 3)/Open everyday in August
- Adult:1000 (900) yen, University/highschool student :700 (600) yen, Junior highschool/primary school student:300 (200) yen
- ( ): Group fee